Exhaust Manifold Replacement: Device, Diagram and Features
Exhaust manifold (VC) of the car engineis an element of the exhaust system. Its role is to collect the combustion products from all the cylinders and, combining them, transfer them to the intake pipe. From there they will go to the catalyst, and after it - to the muffler.
The exhaust manifold is attached to the head of the unitcylinders of the power unit (cylinder head). The tightness of this joint is ensured by a special gasket. Due to the constant temperature loads, it sometimes breaks down. And although such a malfunction does not pose a serious threat to the engine, it is better to eliminate it immediately after detection.
In this article we will look at how replacement of exhaust manifold gasket On an example of cars of domestic manufacture VAZ. But first let's figure out what the VC is and how to determine that it's time to change its seal.
Features of exhaust manifold design
Structurally, the exhaust manifold is severalpipes, combined into one. Its geometric shapes and mountings for each engine are different. The VC is usually made of high-carbon cast iron or steel. Its side, which is attached to the cylinder head, has a certain shape corresponding to the arrangement of the exhaust ports. The connection of the collector to the cylinder head of the VAZ cars is provided by special pins screwed into its body. Their number depends on the form of VC.
The collector gasket is manufactured bypunching from asbestos. This material is best suited for these purposes: it has excellent resistance to high temperatures, is strong enough, and is also able to compress, ensuring tightness of the connection. For greater strength, VC seals can be reinforced with steel.
How long is the exhaust manifold gasket
The exhaust manifold seal does not apply tothose elements, the replacement of which is provided for by the plan of routine maintenance. It can serve for two years, and five, and ten. Her condition does not depend on age and mileage. The only factor that affects the duration of its service is the correct operation of the engine. If it works in the standard mode, it does not overheat, uses good fuel, the gasket will serve for a long time. If, on the contrary, it can burn out after three months of operation.
Signs of burnt VK gasket
The signs of a burnt gasket can be:
- change the sound of a running engine;
- occurrence in a car salon of a characteristic smell of the fulfilled gases;
- a violation of the stability of the engine, a burning CHECK lamp on the dashboard.
As for the sound of the power unit,When the gasket is burnt, a typical "chirring" is usually heard. In such cases, it is said that the engine "cuts". This sound creates exhaust gases, escaping at the place of damaging the seal. Naturally, the exhaust from under the hood gets into the cabin through the heating and ventilation system. This creates additional inconvenience to the driver and passengers, moreover, poses a certain threat to their health, therefore, in any case, replacement of the exhaust manifold gasket with its damage is a compelling necessity.
In cars with injection engines, workwhich is controlled by an electronic control unit (ECU), in case of damage to the integrity of the gasket on the dashboard, the CHECK lamp may light up. This is due to the fact that the lambda probe, mounted on the collector itself or the receiving tube, captures the change in the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and transmits a signal to the ECU. Until the malfunction is rectified, the controller forces the engine to work in emergency mode.
How much does the repair cost at the service station
How much does it cost replacement exhaust manifold gasket? Price this type of work depends on the type of engine(carburetor, injection, 8-valve, 16-valve), the model of the seal itself, as well as the rates of the service station, where you plan to repair your car.
On average, the work itself, together with a compactor, costs somewhere in the range of 1,500 rubles.
But it is not necessary to spend money on work. Replacing the gasket exhaust manifold VAZ without any special difficulties can be done on its own. Especially if you have a set of hand tools, and you have even the slightest idea about the design of the engine of your car.
What will it take to repair
Replacement of a lining of a final collector involves the use of the following tools:
- set of spanner keys;
- slotted and Phillips screwdrivers;
- a sharp knife or spatula (to remove the old gasket);
- tank with a wide neck volume of at least 5 liters (for draining coolant);
- anti-rust agent (WD-40 or equivalent);
- dry cloths.
Important: Replacing the exhaust manifold gasket 2114, as well as other models of VAZ, provides for preliminary discharge of coolant. Otherwise you risk filling it with engine intake windows.
Replacing the exhaust manifold gasket VAZ 2114
The algorithm for performing the work for the “fourteenth” Samara model is as follows:
- We install the car on a viewing pit or an overpass, dismantle the engine protection, drain the coolant.
- Remove the negative battery terminal.
- Dismantle the air filter housing.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable and fuel tubes from the throttle assembly.
- Disconnect the sensor connectors throttle valve and regulator idling.
- Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hoses, brake booster from the receiver.
- We dismantle the receiver itself, disconnect the connectors of the wires of the injection control unit.
- Remove the fuel rail (nozzles do not unscrew).
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the VC.
- Dismantle the intake manifold, and behind it the exhaust.
- Remove the old gasket.
- Using a knife (spatula), gently clean the mating surfaces of the collector and the cylinder head.
- Install the new gasket.
- Install in the reverse order.
- Fill the coolant to the desired level.
Change the gasket VK on the VAZ 2110
Replacing the exhaust manifold gasket 2110 is performed in the following order:
- We put the car on the overpass (inspection pit), remove the protection, be sure to drain the coolant.
- We de-energize the on-board network of the car by disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery.
- Dismantle the air filter.
- Disconnect from the receiver brake booster hose, pneumatic valve cover, fuel pressure regulator.
- Disable the throttle sensor, idle control.
- Disconnect the air line, turn off the air flow sensor.
- Disconnect from the throttle nozzle crankcase ventilation hoses.
- Remove from the manifold underwater and bypass hoses of the cooling system.
- Disassemble the receiver assembly with the throttle assembly.
- Turn off the 5 fastening nuts and remove the inlet manifold.
- Turn off the bolts (3 pcs.), Which attach the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe.
- Dismantle the VC.
- Remove the old gasket or its remaining fragments.
- We clean the joints on the collector and on the cylinder head.
- Install the new gasket.
- We make installation of the dismantled elements.
- Do not forget to pour antifreeze (antifreeze).
As you can see, for VAZ 2110 replacement exhaust gasket it is performed almost according to the same algorithm as for the "fourteenth". Above all, do not forget to drain the coolant.
Exhaust manifold gasket replacement: Niva
Replace the gasket on the "Niva" also does not make much difficulty. The order of work is as follows:
- To get started, follow the first nine points from the section for VAZ 2110.
- Unscrew the bolts fixing the front and rear support brackets to the exhaust pipe. Remove the front bracket, push the rear bracket aside so as not to interfere.
- Remove the fuel injectors with rail.
- Unscrew the front eyebolt mounting nut and remove it.
- Remove the nuts securing the heat shield of the intake pipe, remove it.
- Unscrew the two extreme, and then the two upper nuts attaching the intake manifold to the cylinder head.
- Using the extension for the key handle, loosen the two remaining (lower) nuts.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the heat shield of the starter.
- Unscrew the nut that holds the ground wire to the cylinder head. Remove the tip of the conductor.
- Unscrew three nuts securing VK and dismantle it.
- Remove the gasket, strip the mating surfaces and install a new gasket.
- Install the removed parts in the reverse order, fill the coolant.
How to extend the life of the gasket
Although replacement of exhaust manifold gasket does not require special costs and may well besuccessfully implemented in a private garage, who wants to spend their time on it? It is better to let him serve longer. And to extend its life, listen to the following tips:
- monitor the condition of the cooling system, check the level of antifreeze (antifreeze) to prevent the engine from overheating;
- use only high-quality fuel;
- check the density of the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold;
- finding a gasket integrity violation, do not wait until it burns completely, replace it;
- When buying an exhaust manifold gasket, choose a quality product from well-known manufacturers.