Troitsky Antonievo-Siysky Monastery
In the North of Russia there are still placeswhich time is not powerful, where it slows down its run. One of them is in the Arkhangelsk region, where in the wrong light of white nights the Holy Trinity Antonievo-Sii Monastery is raised to the sky with golden crosses - a witness and participant of many events of our history. For more than four centuries, it has been one of the main Orthodox shrines in our country, and many of its walls can be told. You just need to be able to listen.
The begotten boy
It is known that in the sixties of the fifteenth centuryGreat Novgorod moved to the village of Kekhta Dvinskaya volost pious family of a well-to-do peasant named Nikifor. Hardworking was a man, that's why he did not transfer wealth in the house. And only one misfortune overshadowed the life of the migrant - the Lord did not bless his wife Agatha with charity. Oh, how many years have passed since the three times rounded up their rural pop around the analogue, having done that great mystery of marriage, and not heard in his hut children's voices.
In those years of infertility knew only one remedy- was an unhappy woman in the church, fell prostrate in front of a dark icon image and tearfully prayed to the Queen of Heaven about sending her a long-awaited child. Not once has visited a pilgrimage and Agafia. She bowed her earthly bows and put on pood candles-she did not translate a penny in her husband's moschnya. And she begged for happiness - the Mother of God blessed her son, who was called Andrew at the holy baptism.
It has long been noticed in the people that such here,begotten from God, children are full of reason and virtue. And the boy Andrey in the seventh year comprehended the reading and writing and adopted from the parish priest the skill of icon painting. So he grew up, serving in the temple of God and helping his parents to lead their extensive farming, until the Lord called them.
Andrew by that time had already grown up, and it was himtwenty-five years, when he thought it was good to leave his father's house and go to Veliky Novgorod, where his deceased parents came from. He found a job there quickly - a strong and accommodating young man took to his service a local boyar and before he took his soul to him, that in the fifth year he gave his daughter for him. But, to know, there was not a Will of God for it - a year later a young wife, and then her father, died.
Burying his dead and close to him, andAndrei thought and understood with his mind that it was not his destiny to live in peace, among sin and temptations, but should devote himself to God, shutting himself in one of the holy monasteries, with which the Russian land is so plentiful. Praying and blessing at the same priest who married him a year ago with a boyar daughter, he forever left Novgorod Novgorod, but he directed his feet not to the Dvina parish where his father's deserted house was still, but to the holy monastery built on the Ken River, near the town of Kargopol.
Here in the walls of the ancient monastery began AndrewAscent to the crown of holiness, having tonsured monks with the name of Antony. He spent a year in heavy monastic labors - he chopped out age-old pines, uprooted the stumps, clearing the place under the garden, and then he also worked in it, earning food for the brethren.
But most of all it was to his heart to look aftersick and miserable, for whom a shelter was created in the monastery. The nights were spent by Anthony in prayers for the salvation of the souls of all Orthodox Christians. Soon his spiritual father, the Monk Pachomius Keski ordained him to the priesthood, and then blessed to the feat of hermitage, about which Antony had long spoken with him.
On the way to the holy place
Anthony left the inhabited walls of the monastery not alone,but with two comrades, just like him, seeking prayerful solitude. Praying, they retired to the impassable forest jungle, a wall approaching the monastery. At first, for their desert life, the monks chose a quiet place on the bank of the Yemtsa, cut down their cells and even built a wooden church dedicated to St. Nicholas. But the enemy of the human race podgodil them - he enraged them with the hearts of local residents, who decided that the monks wanted to take possession of their land. It was necessary for the monks to leave the place they wanted and continue their wanderings through the remote thickets. It should be noted that by that time, their number was supplemented by three more hermit-worshipers.
But the Lord did not leave them, sent on the path of a certaina fisherman named Samuel. It was he who prompted the wanderers a place on Lake Mikhailov, where no one lived for ever, but from whence the bell of the bell and the singing of the angels sounded for the first time. And it was not far off - just three days' journey, by Russian standards - very close.
An ancient legend says that, having come to that place,indicated by Samuel, the monks have comprehended in their hearts, that it is holy, and to be here a monastery, which is destined to survive the centuries. And they placed a cross on the deserted cape of the forest of Mikhailovskoye Lake, which expired in the sun with fresh pine resin, thus denoting the place of the future monastery.
First difficult steps
The future monastery will receive its name from the riverThis is flowing out of Mikhailovsky Lake, and is the right tributary of the Dvina. She, like the lake itself, is rich in fish, and the forest jungle around is a beast, but for life it is not enough, and the brethren had to cut down the forest and plow the land. And on what to plow? There are no horses. Here, God's people were harnessed in turn to a self-made plow, tearing and falling on fresh furrows.
It is known for certain that Antonievo-SiyaThe monastery was raised in very difficult conditions. There were even moments when the monks, exhausted, were about to leave the new place, and only the word and prayer of their spiritual mentor, Antony, helped the faint-hearted to overcome the minute weakness. But with God's help they finally settled down, and erected the first wooden church in the name of the Life-Giving Trinity. Her main asset was the icon of the Holy Trinity, written by Antony himself, who succeeded in icon painting from a small age.
For many centuries TroitskyAntonievo-Siya Monastery was famous for the whole country with this shrine. According to the prayers of the pilgrims, miracles of healing occurred before her. Finally, everyone was convinced of the graciousness of the image, when one day lightning struck the church, and after the fire that destroyed the entire inner part of the building, an icon completely untouched by fire was removed from the heap of ash.
Grand Duke's Letter
Its official status is Holy TrinityAntonievo-Siya Monastery was in 1552 when his rector, the future holy St. Anthony, sent two monks to Moscow to Grand Duke Vasily III with a petition for the establishment of the monastery. The pious ruler took kindly to their request and sent with them not only the Chartered Letter, but also generous gifts for the remembrance of his own soul.
Blessed death and canonization
The Monk Anthony lived to seventy-nineyears, thirty-seven of which he spent in the monastery he created, only occasionally leaving it for a brief hermitage, caused by the need for prayerful solitude. When he was asked before his death where he wanted to be buried, the ascetic had punished (if it was the case!) To take his body to the forest and leave them to be torn to beasts and birds so that this trivial and they would remember it before God. Only the tearful entreaties of the brethren persuaded him to give up his decision.
He went to the Lord on December 20, 1556, inthe reign of Emperor John IV of Grozny, and the Antonievo-Siisky monastery continued its life already under the new abbot - the elder Cyril, indicated by Antony in his will. He himself for a pious life and numerous miracles in 1579 was counted among the saints.
Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
His memory is celebrated by the Orthodox Church 20December, and on that day the Anthony-Siya Men's Monastery, a photo of which can be seen in this article, is filled with hundreds of pilgrims coming from different cities of the country to pay tribute to his memory and to bow to the holy relics now resting under the bridge of the Trinity Cathedral, erected after the saint's death.
The laying of this five-dome temple waswas committed in 1589 by the highest permission of the then reigning Tsar Feodor Ioannovich (the son of Ivan the Terrible). In his letter, sent to the monastery, he ordered to build it on the model of the Resurrection Cathedral of the Moscow Novodevichy Monastery and even to help builders sent an experienced master Zakhar. All the works performed by the Vologda artisan's team were completed in 1606, and soon the church was consecrated.
Monastery - witness to history
In the 16th-17th centuries the Antonievo-Sii Monasteryoccupies the place of one of the leading spiritual centers of the North of Russia, and belongs to it an important place in its history. It is known that within these walls was serving a five-year reference to the disgraced boyar Fedor Nikitich Romanov, the father of the future tsar, the founder of the Romanov dynasty, Mikhail Fedorovich. It was here at the behest of Boris Godunov who reigned then the boyar took monastic vows with the name Filaret.
Years will pass, and, having returned from the Polish captivity,he will become Patriarch of Moscow of All Russia. Then Filaret of the sympathetic hegumen Ion will not forget, trying to do his best to facilitate his fate, and, having ascended to the patriarchal throne, will repay him with generous gifts. The monastery walls are also remembered by the still young Mikhail Lomonosov, who stopped here on his way to Moscow.
Royal patrons of the monastery
From the first days of his history, Antonievo-SiiskyThe monastery enjoyed the invariable location of the supreme rulers of Russia. The beginning was laid by the Grand Duke Vasily III, as stated above, sent his gifts with the Charter. A generous contributor was his son Ivan the Terrible, but, in truth, somewhat differently. He transferred to the monastery a long list of boyars executed by him and attached a thousand rubles to them for the remembrance of their souls-such was the caring sovereign.
Tsar Fedor, who ascended after him to the throne, did notonly financed the construction of the Trinity Cathedral, but also gave him a hundred-and-seventy-pound bell. Boris Godunov, who granted the monasteries five hundred rubles and many expensive church utensils, was not stingy. All the supporters of the brethren diligently remembered at the prayers and made notes about it in the special "Fodder Book".
Over time, the Holy Trinity Antony-Siyathe monastery entered such a power that not only enjoyed the generosity of the reigning persons, but also repeatedly provided them with material assistance. So, for example, the sovereign Mikhail Feodorovich covered the costs of the war with Sweden from the funds provided to him by the monastery treasury, and his father, Alexei Mikhailovich, took loans for the rearmament of the army.
A great role was played by the pilgrimage toAntonievo-Sii monastery of the reigning persons. Russian autocrats have often visited the ancient walls that preserved the memory of their ancestors. For example, in the summer of 1819, they were honored by their visit to the Emperor Alexander I, and in 1856 - his nephew Alexander II. The Grand Dukes were also frequent guests. To receive high guests there was even a special ritual.
Usually the sovereign, having left the carriage beforehand,walked up to the Holy Gates and there, met by the hegumen and the brethren, was blessed with the icon of St. Anthony, who was immediately given a gift. Then followed a solemn prayer service in the Trinity Cathedral and a dinner in the hegumen chambers. Needless to say, such visits contributed to the arrival in the monastery of a large number of ordinary pilgrims, abundantly replenished his treasury.
The golden age of the monastery
It is commonly believed that the heyday of the monastery occurredfor the XVII century. It then inhabited about two hundred monks, whose forces were built six temple buildings, and the most significant of them was the Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. Above the decoration of the monastery worked famous icon painters of the time, such as Fedor Zubov and Vasily Kondakov. In the vaults of the monastery were collected many outstanding monuments of Russian culture.
Features of the Holy Trinity Antonian-SiyaMonastery, such as the unique collections of antiquities collected in it, the architectural originality, the piety of the brethren and the beauty of the surrounding northern nature, provided him with a prominent place among other holy monasteries of Russia.
On the path of tolls
After the October coup, Antony-SiiskyThe monastery fully shared the fate of most Russian monasteries. In 1923, it was closed, part of the property was sent to state institutions, and the rest was simply plundered. In the premises where the monks used to live and performed church services, they set up a colony for juvenile offenders. The monastic walls are high - they will not run away. In subsequent years, there were other institutions that did not have a relationship with religion.
Only with the onset of perestroika, which changedthe government's policy towards religion, the monastery was returned to the church. But the formal transfer of the land and the buildings that were on it did not mean its revival as a spiritual center. Antonievo-Siy monastery, whose photo gives an idea of the diversity and specifics of the buildings on its territory, needed a serious restoration, for which significant capital investments were required. A great role in solving these problems was played by his deputy, Archimandrite Trifon (Plotnikov), who was able to find the necessary resources and attract highly qualified specialists to work.
Today Antonievo-Siisky Monastery(Arkhangelsk region) fully revived its former greatness. It once again became a place where thousands of Russians come, who want to touch the living history of the Motherland. This is undeniably testified by the busy schedule of the pilgrimage service of the monastery, posted on its website.
The most frequent question that arises from those whowants to visit the Antonievo-Siya Monastery: "How to get to this monastery, located in the heart of the Russian North?". To do this, you can take bus number 503, which leaves from Arkhangelsk to Emetsk, or by other buses No. 511, 505 and 520. The same person who has personal transport can get to him on the route No. 8 Arkhangelsk-Moscow. On 151 km there will be a turn to the right and the corresponding index.
In 2000, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy IIBlessed the opening in St. Petersburg on the street Olga Forsh metochion of the Holy Trinity Antonievo-Siya Monastery. It was created, and now it takes care of a significant part of the believers who live in the area, as well as a number of children's pre-school institutions. It is planned to create the same metochion in other parts of the country.