Car repair: replacing the crankshaft oil seal
If a leakage of oil is detected in the car, and it occurs through the oil seals in the crankshaft, the following should be done first:
- examine the crankcase ventilation system for clogging;
- check if there is any clogging of the hoses of the crater ventilation system;
- eliminate the detected malfunctions.
But it happens that the measures taken are insufficient. Then it is necessary to replace the crankshaft oil seal.
The main sign that indicates compulsionreplacement - when oil begins to flow already through the edge of the stuffing box. The rotating pulley crankshaft splashes it in different directions, smearing and oiling almost the entire front of the engine, as well as the belt on the drive near the gas distribution mechanism. Of course, replacing the stuffing box - it's not the most difficult thing, but it requires some skill and appropriate tools.
The crankshaft has an omentum both front and rear. Their removal and replacement takes place in a certain sequence. So, replacing the crankshaft front oil seal consists of the following:
- from the "negative" terminal on the battery the wire is disconnected;
- the position of the piston in the first cylinder is set in the TDC of the compression cycle;
- on the gas distributing mechanism the drive belt is removed;
- on the crankshaft, a toothed pulley is removed, followed by a remote ring;
- the oil pump socket then follows. From it, with the help of a screwdriver, the gland is removed;
- Replacing the crankshaft oil seal is done neatly and with due attention.
It is necessary to examine its working edges well. Edge must be equal, on the surface should not be dents, torn places or excessive thickening of rubber, naplyv (factory marriage). It is necessary to make sure that the spring is in a normal, not stretched condition on the stuffing box, without damage:
- before installation the working edge is lubricated with engine oil;
The gland is again installed inside the socket,then its working edge should be tucked neatly into its crankshaft position, helping yourself with a screwdriver or a stick, only to avoid damaging the rubber, the stuffing box must be pressed in all the way to the end (you can do this by picking a suitable mandrel);
- return to the place all previously removed parts of the mechanism, of course, in the reverse order removal;
- the replacement of the crankshaft oil seal is completed by adjusting the tension of the drive belts at the generator and the air conditioning compressor, and also the pump must be adjusted on the power steering.
With clutch discs can be soiled in thatIf the oil seal is leaking from the input shaft on the gearbox or the rear oil seal at the crankshaft. You can classify it by the smell of oils - the smell of the motor is different from the transmission one. An experienced driver or mechanic differentiates them without difficulty. And then it determines which seal has a defect. Another little trick: in the usual puddle, if there is no other water tank near at hand, drip leaking oil. The transmission spreads across the entire water surface, forming a rainbow film. The motor will remain in the form of a drop resembling a grain.
And again about the ventilation system in the crankcase. Replacing the crankshaft oil seal does not help if the cleanliness of the system is broken. Its clogging leads to an increase in the pressure of the crankcase gases. And the oil begins to leak, even if the front oil seal is in perfect order.
Now about the tools. With bare hands to do all the necessary work will not work, as well as one screwdriver. For repair and restoration works, the mechanic or driver may need keys to "10", to "36", a special key designed specifically to tighten the nut at the attachment to the crankshaft, the screwdriver has already been mentioned. Well, if in the toolbox there is a beard, a mounting blade and a hammer - they too will be involved in the process.